Homeschool Kids
Hand In Hand Education

Special Needs
About Us

Special Education

IDEA Law and the IEP Process

Special Education Testing

Learning Disabilities

Visual Impairments

Autism and Asperger's

Consultations With Hand In Hand


Search Our Website

The information on these pages is provided for informational purposes only. It is not to be construed as legal advice or counsel.

If a homeschool parent suspects their child may have a learning disability, they may request a free evaluation through their local public school. Governed by the Individual's with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), all public schools in America are required to provide this Child Find service.

You may use the following text to request special education testing services for your child. Insert the appropriate information where you see brackets or a blank space.

I am requesting that [name of school district] conduct a Child Find evaluation, as provided under the Individuals with Disabilities Act 2004, for my child, [child's name], age __ and in grade __. Through the course of our homeschooling, I am concerned that [child's name] is not making adequate progress in the area(s) of [reading/spelling/writing/math].

Your letter should also include a specific statement about your concerns. Framing your concerns in educational language school administrators can understand will help facilitate an initial meeting. Concerns may be:

  • Failure to read at grade level despite regular instruction with [name of phonics/reading program]
  • Failure to retain and apply math concepts despite regular instruction with [name of math program]
  • Inability to write legibly and coherently despite regular instruction with [name of writing program]
  • Problems with processing speed, which makes learning concepts take longer and presents obstacles to being able to recall material quickly and readily.
  • Problems with attention and organizational skills that prevent successful completion of assignments and tests
  • Inability to regulate sensory input in a manner that allows my child to properly attend to learning
Your written request may be sent to your designated "home" school, the school your child would attend if they were enrolled in public school. The letter may be addressed to the school principal or school guidance counselor.

Once the school receives your written request, they are bound by the federal IDEA law to conduct the testing. Should the school decline to conduct an evaluation, they must provide you with a written explanation. You may follow the due-process procedures to appeal the decision.

More Resources and Articles About Special Education

  • IEP Process
    What are the steps of working with a public school when you suspect your homeschool child has special learning needs.
  • Private Consultation
    Schedule a private consultation with Hand In Hand's professional staff to assist you with the IEP process.
  • Private Testing
    Prefer to not go through your local public school for your assessment needs? Schedule individualized testing with Hand In Hand.

The information on these pages is provided for informational purposes only. It is not to be construed as legal advice or counsel.


April 04, 2020


© 2016       E-mail: Hand In Hand Education     |     Privacy Policy     |         Contact Us                                         Last Updated September 19, 2019